When you have one or more missing teeth, you are more likely to have low self-esteem. Worse, your dental health may be jeopardized. Fortunately, dental implants provide a remedy for lost teeth. People are becoming more aware of the benefits of Santa Monica Center for Oral Surgery & Dental Implants. Here are three of the most essential reasons for dental implants, along with some precautions and warnings.
The Three Parts Of A Dental Implant
Simply explained, dental implants, which look like screws or cylinders and are made of medical-grade titanium, are replacements for missing tooth roots.
They are made to look like natural teeth and are utilized as a strong foundation for either removable replacement teeth or permanent, fixed teeth. A dental implant is made up of three fundamental components: the fixture, the abutment, and the dental prosthesis.
- The fixture which gets implanted in and bonded with a patient’s jawbone serves as the implant’s artificial root.
- The abutment, which is the component of the implant that is above and at the gum line, attaches and supports a crown, denture, bridge, or another form of dental treatment that is placed on it.
- The dental prosthesis fits on top of the abutment and functions similarly to a natural tooth. It can be snapped or clipped (for dentures), screwed, or glued (for bridgework or crowns).
Prevents The Remaining Teeth From Shifting
When you lose a tooth, a gap is formed, which causes bone loss. The teeth that remain adjacent to the gap begin to move as a result of natural stress and mouth forces. As a result, your straight, healthy teeth become unstable.
This condition can result in more bone loss as well as tooth loss. These problems, however, can be avoided by correcting gaps with dental implants.
Makes It Easier To Chew Food
One of the key reasons dental implants are so important is that they help you to chew food properly. Consider how proper chewing aids digestion. The better your meal is digested, the better nutrients are absorbed by your body.
You can chew food normally if you have dental implants. Because dental implants are as near to genuine teeth as it gets, you can eat whatever you want.
Dental implants are crucial not just for their health advantages, but also for increasing self-confidence. When you have missing teeth, it’s easy to be self-conscious about your look and avoid smiling.
Furthermore, dental implants can aid in speech improvement. Unlike dentures, which can slip inside your mouth and cause you to slur your speech or mumble, dental implants are secure, so you don’t have to worry about your teeth slipping.
Considerations And Cautions
- Another advantage of dental implants is comfort
- Dental implants are exceedingly effective, with a success rate of up to 98 percent. Consider how the success rate changes depending on the position of the implants in the jaw.
- Implants may last a lifetime if properly cared for. Brushing, flossing, periodic dental cleanings, and scheduled examinations are all part of implant care. Your dentist might provide extra home care cleaning strategies to maintain your teeth healthy.
- To be a candidate for implant therapy, you must have enough bone to support the implant and healthy gums.
- Smokers should quit smoking one week before a dental implant operation. Furthermore, people should not smoke for up to two months after receiving an implant.
- Although dental implants do not harm neighboring teeth, you may require extra treatment after you have gotten an implant. This is done to guarantee that the implant remains in place in the jawbone. Inquire with your dentist about the pros and downsides of this treatment option.