Dental implants are replacements for missing teeth. They are artificial and surgically implanted in your mouth. These implants are designed to look natural and make you feel good. If you’ve lost your teeth due to age, an accident or any other reason, then surgical dental implants can be your best choice.
However, before you take a call on it, you need expert advice. Thus, it is suggested that you consult a reputed dental implants specialists in your area. There are many reputed and experienced dentists that offer dental implants in Canberra.
One of the most popular names in the industry is Central Periodontics & Dental Implants Clinic. They have qualified and experienced professionals like Dr. Sethi to perform implant surgeries. Their treatment process includes modern techniques, sedation, comfort, care, and friendly atmosphere. They help your regain your gorgeous smile and ensure oral health sustainability.
What Is Dental Implant And Dental Implant Surgery?
A Dental implant involves metal, especially titanium, covered with artificial tooth, which is surgically fixed into the jawbone. These artificial teeth protect the other teeth by giving support and structure. Also, helps to bite and chew naturally. This artificial tooth is positioned in the root area of your missing tooth to appear and work as the original one.
Dental Implant Surgery Procedure
Several things are undertaken by the dentist before the surgical process. Some of those are listed below
- X-rays are thoroughly examined by the dentist, and based on which you are given different models of artificial teeth t choose from
- The situation of your jawbone and its ability is assessed
- Your heart and orthopaedic functioning are examined to avoid surgical complications
- You’ll be asked to choose one from three options of anaesthesia
- It is mandatory to arrange a family member or a friend to accompany
What Happens During Surgery?
- Removal of the damaged tooth.
- Bone grafting – a small bone, from another part of your body or another area of the jawbone, is transplanted to prepare for chewing
- Installing of the implant into the gum line
- Placing the abutment after the jaw is healed (abutment is a piece that fits and screws into the implant, and later the artificial tooth will be attached)
As per the suggestions of a dentist, you must follow the following tips for better healing.
- Avoid tobacco
- Practice brushing and flossing daily
- Visit the dental office regularly
- Avoid oral habits like chewing candies, ice and more
The Healing Process
Healing of jawbone plays a vital role when implanting an artificial tooth. Sometimes, it can take weeks or months to complete the procedure. Without healthy and strong jawbone, implantation cannot be done. During healing process, osseointegration occurs, where bone begins to grow and unites with implant surface. Within three to nine months, dental implant works like a natural tooth.
Now that you know how dental implants are and how they work, it is best that you consult a reliable periodontics and dental implant specialists for professional assistance.